Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Kyra is thirteen years old.
She lives in an isolated community.
She lives with her father, her 20 siblings and his three wives.
She cannot leave. They will beat her.

Kyra is not allowed to meet with the boy of her dreams Joshua.
Not allowed to read. Not allowed to question the 'prophets'.
She is being forced to marry her 60 year old uncle.
She will be a seventh wife. Not if she can help it.

This is an amazing book, so nice to read and it really makes you think.It's kind of scary to see what she had to go through.There is, in my view, a lot of social injustice in this book.The community is, also in my view, being oppressed. This book is like the blood of the lamb trilogy but better.

I don't want to spoil the whole book, I give it a 9/10.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting. You describe it as "nice to read" but I can't quite imagine how it can be "nice"! I was interested in your comment that the community was being oppressed and would have liked you to explain that in more detail. Unfortunately, religion has been used in an oppressive way in many cultures and periods of history (including today).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant that the way it was written was nice to read, not that oppression is nice.

    ReplyDelete