Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Trash by Andy Mulligan

Trash is a novel about three young boys, Raphael, Gardo and Jun-Jun (aka Rat) who live on a garbage dump in the Philippines. They survive by digging through the rubbish each day and salvaging whatever they can.  One day, Raphael finds a mysterious and valuable object. Before they realize what is happening, the boys are on the run from the police.

I really enjoyed this book.  It grabbed my attention straight away and kept me hooked throughout the story.  I thought the setting was really interesting.  I think this is the first book I have read that is set in the Philippines.  The poverty and police corruption in this book were pretty shocking and in some ways it reminded me of the film Slumdog Millionaire (which I also love)  I also liked the fact that the story is told from several different points of view.  I highly recommend this book to people who like an exciting story, likeable characters and an unusual setting.  

1 comment:

  1. I recently read Trash and was instantly gripped by the high-octane twists and turns of the plot. The setting was certainly interesting and added an unusual and mysterious vibe to the story. It isn't every day that you find a book that is so original yet so compelling and hard to put down. I would certainly recommend this to people who enjoyed Holes and The Hunger Games. I wasn't expecting the ending and it wasn't quite what I wanted but would still recommend this book to any teen looking for a book with alot of interesting characters that will stick in your mind for a long time.

    ReplyDelete