Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

This book is not one that I would normally read or even like for that matter, but after receiving it from a friend I couldn't put it down. And when I found out that we would have to review a book dealing with social justice I immediately thought of this book, as I was in the middle of it.
Well this book is about 13 year old Kyra Leigh Carlson, who is told she is to marry her 60 year old uncle, (who already has six wives) because God has said so. She lives with her Father, her three Mothers and 20 siblings (with 2 more on the way) in a small compound, with the Chosen ones, a polygamous group, 50 miles from the nearest town. Their lives are controlled by the prophet and his “visions” from God. In the past they all could visit the town as much as they liked, but since the new prophet came into power, everything has changed and they have become more and more secluded from the rest of the world; from Satan. They have not only been banned from the outside world other than essential needs but they have also been banned from reading about it. Yeah, that’s right; books there have been banned and burned in a fire called the cleansing. They can’t read anything but the Bible. And they have been getting deeper and deeper in a twisted religion with violence taking center stage. Where to get to heaven men had to marry and have a minimum of three wives and women have no rights, other than to marry the men chosen for them and bear children.
But Kyra has been sneaking out at night and meeting Joshua, the boy she has fallen in love with and then there’s also her weekly visits to the local bookmobile. Through these visits she starts to see the world outside her own and wonders how the whole world could be wrong, and just the 100 or so people inside her world be right. Slowly she starts to realize that things in their little compound is changing and not for the better. And any of the young adults who stand up and do anything about it are punished (beat up, sent away or killed) and set as examples to others who think of doing the same.
With her life and the ones she loves at risk, what should she do? Marry her uncle or escape her destiny? But how can she hurt the ones she loves? She has to make a choice and follow through as there are no second chances and the repercussions are deadly.
The whole time while reading this book I couldn't put it down. But at the same time I want to throw this book across the room and just scream at the characters (the prophet mostly). This book is amazing, powerfully chilling, and like I said earlier; hard to put down. I’m sure it will stay with me throughout my life, as the story weather true or not showed me a whole new side of things. Because at the end of the day there are small groups like this all around the world, and there are hundreds of girls who have been through the the same thing and many more who are dealing with things like this today. I would recommend this book to anyone and I give this book a 10/10. This book is definitely one of my favorites.

1 comment:

  1. Well you and Zoe both liked this one (have you read her review?) and it sounds pretty interesting to me. I think I will have to put it on my list! Scary how religion can be used so effectively to oppress and control people, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete