Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Krystyna's Story By Halina Ogonowska-Coates

'As a child I loved my mother but she seemed different from other mothers. She didn't know how old she was. She couldn't remember where she was born. I wondered what had happened to her that she could have forgotten such important things. It had something to do with the Second World War...'


Krystyna is one of 732 Polish children who survived forced deportation to the Soviet Union.
Her story begins in a peaceful Polish village and follows her family's journey to a labour camp in Siberia, one by one, Krystyna saw her family die around her (excluding her father who had already been set off to fight in the war).


This book took me into the reality of warfare. There were so many brutal events that took place , that it has made me realise how cruel some people can be, and how lucky we are to have the things we take for granted. Also i felt really sorry for Krystyna and how she had to face things alone. I don't think I could have survived what she went through. I got the impression her mother was going crazy, and she kind of abandoned her daughter. It was really heartbreaking to read how all she wanted was for her mother to hold her and tell her it would be okay, she always tried to please her and help her, but was always kept at a distance and shown no love.


I give this book a 7.5/10, i think it was a really well written book, but do not recommend it to anyone who does not like a sad book or something that might make them tear up.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is your best review yet, Simran. Well done! I really enjoyed your very thoughtful and honest response to this story. I haven't read it myself but know that it is taught at some schools. Did it make you "tear up"?

    ReplyDelete