Friday, May 27, 2011

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

This book was recommended to me the last time we were in the library, but I didn’t start reading it till the evening. And from the moment I picked it up I couldn’t put it down. I finished the book the night I started, it was that interesting!
The set up for this book is unlike any other that I’ve read in my life and I’ve read a few books (that is when I feel like reading a lot). Well there are 526 pages in this book and 284 pages are told through pictures. Before I begin the story; the automaton man in this story is a “toy” so to speak as it is a little plastic man who sits a table and can write and draw things.

The story starts off by showing a dark sky and then progresses to show the city of Paris in all its beauty at night. After this we slowly learn about the main character Hugo Cabret, he is a young boy around the age of 12 or 13 who “invisibly” keeps all the clocks in a train station in Paris working. He lives by himself in the abandon rooms in the walls of the station where he works on the clocks as his uncle who is supposed to be looking after him, showed him before he disappeared.
His father was killed in a fire in the museum he worked at one night while he was trying to fix the automaton man he found there that Hugo liked. Around the time after the death of his father Hugo found the automaton man and from the drawings given to him in a book by his father; Hugo while living and working secretly at the train station tries to fix it in the hope that his father has left a message for him in it. Then after getting the book taken of him by the toy shop keeper in the station, Hugo with the help of the shop keeper’s grand-daughter continues to build the mechanical man and through a cryptic drawing, a stolen key, the mechanical man, and a hidden message finds out the answers to both their pasts.
This book is amazing like I said at the start of the review and I would recommend it to anyone who is into a story that is fast moving with a lot of twists and turns that will keep you at the end of your seat for the whole ride and leave you stunned by the end. I give this book a 10/10.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds really unusual. I can see why you would like it. Sorry I didn't respond to this review earlier - don't know how I missed it. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete