Thursday, May 19, 2011

Where the truth lies by Jessica Warman

Goosebumps.......I looooved this book and everything about it accept the characters and her 'bad boy' boyfriend.

This tale is about a girl named Emily Meckler who's experiencing the highs and LOWS of high school just like the rest of us.Her imperfections are her constant nightmares which meanings are revealed later on in the book. She is an all-round good girl and is living the perfect life which involves her three best friends who are also her roommates and her adoring parents; her dad who is also the headmaster of the school she is boarding at. Her picturesque world is suddenly corrupted by a new boy at the school named Del Sugar.....
he is the new mysterious bad boy (hottie) who has all the girls smitten. This Del sugar is COMPLETELY different from anyone she or any other girl has ever met, he weirdly enough likes her......the headmasters daughter, daddy's good girl.

She tries to stay away from Del Sugar at first, mostly because her best friend and one of her roommates, Stephanie, thinks she has a shot with him. But of course, as time goes on, Del pays more and more attention to her.They begin to date, and continue in secret after her father puts his foot down. After a few months, Emily discovers that she is pregnant with Del's child...... WTH? That's just stupid, in my opinion, what was she thinking!!!!! she had only known the guy for a month or were they weeks...? ugh! I felt like slapping her. This is when I just couldn't stand her...... I mean she was so naive, I mean you would think that she would use protection but noooo. She was too much of an idiot not to? more than once? She was like...stupid beyond stupid.

She tells Del about the baby soon before he is snapped for using drugs and expelled. In the summer she goes to New York with her friend Renee who is the only other person who knows about the pregnancy ( I loved her!! she was the only sane person I read about in this book!!). Yea, like someone's parents are going to let their daughter run off to New York and not even notice she's pregnant? How unrealistic is that?
I also had a hard time figuring out why in the world Stephanie (Emily's Best Friend) was so...obsessed with her twin brother. It actually sickened me how weird this character was. I kind of understood her but still...weird! I thought this book was really good accept for the characters who were complete rubbish (moo!!) =D

When Del leaves she finds a new boyfriend Ethan who is the exact opposite of Del. Del.... Who was another character I hated. He was just PLAIN creepy and like Emily, I couldn't stand him either. I mean what right did he have stalking her and coming to the school and claiming HER as his soul mate?? telling Ethan (Stephanies' twin) to back of and making threats?? NONE. ohhh I fell in-love with Ethan's character...he was such a good listener, caring, funny and understanding! but with also the right amount of stupid! ummm EMILY I mean cooommmeee ooonnn!!
I really was annoyed with her parents in this book and how they did NOT tell her the truth about her not being their biological daughter? I could never live with that big a lie!! and her 'mum' stood by her in all those psychiatry sessions knowing the truth behind her agony? wow!!

I think this review has enough spoilers! 10.3! so wont tell anymore! Even though I HATED the characters....I guess it just made me want to read it more and I luurrvveed this book. You may love the characters like my best friend did but still its worth your time. And I would recommend it to 13+ it was a 7 out of 10 for me.
=D


1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your reviews! You are never short of an opinion!! The "bad boy" is a familiar figure from lots of films and books, isn't he? Believe it or not, this has been the case for hundreds of years (Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights is a good example of this!) I'm not sure I would enjoy this book but there are probably plenty of readers in the class who would!

    ReplyDelete