Wednesday, May 18, 2011

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

I originally stole this book from my sister because I had nothing else left to read, I'm actually really glad I did. This book sounds serious from the title but let me assure you, it's not.

The main character in the book is Tara. She is what you might think to be a 'perfect girl' at first glance. She's tall, thin, and has beautiful long blond hair, but her distinguishing feature is her port wine stain. If you don't know what a port wine stain is, it's a red birthmark. In Tara's case it covers most of her cheek on one side of her face. She has a boyfriend named Erik, he's alright but they don't really click. She is the youngest child in her family. Her older siblings have mostly all moved out and her father verbally attacks everyone in the house. Especially her mom.

Tara is really artistic, she wants to go to a college with an arts program but her dad won't let her. Later on in the book, Tara and her mom make some friends who they end up going to China with. Norah and Jacob. Norah helps Tara's mom gain more confidence and Tara and Jacob become more than friends really..

It's a good book. I didn't get bored once and the ending is unpredictable but still satisfying. You would like this book if you like Sarah Dessen or if you enjoyed the book 'If I have a wicked stepmother ... then where's my prince?' by Melissa Kantor.I give this book a 9/10 because it's a really sweet story about realizing your true beauty, and it's told in a totally non cheesy way.

You won't regret reading it for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I think this might appeal to lots of teenaged girl readers. It does sound potentially "cheesy" so I am pleased to see that you did not think it was. I like the way you have referred to other authors who write similar books. This is a good idea in a review. What are you reading next?

    ReplyDelete