Monday, May 30, 2011

If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson

Thought I might as well do a review on this book since I finished it last week..

This book is about a 15 year old boy, Jeremiah(Miah) Roselind and 15 year old girl, Elisha(Ellie) Eisen. Miah is black. Ellie is white. That caused a few problems for them.

Jeremiah Roselind is the son of the famous Norman Roselind. He hates being known as that, and he just wants people to see him as 'Jeremiah Roselind. The boy'. One day he meets Elisha; the white girl. They meet in the school hallway when Miah accidentally knocks Ellie's books out of her hands. It's really cute because they stare into each others eyes for a while and they kind of feel a sudden attraction between each other. Instantly they fall in love .

Miah and Ellie want to be together for the rest of their lives, even though they are being criticised for being together. I hated it when they were walking together acting all lovey dovey, and these old ladies saw them and asked Ellie if she was okay. As if to say 'Is the BLACK guy hurting you?'. I really hate how stereotypical the outsiders were being and I really wanted to yell at them.

Ellie tells her sister about the relationship, and suprisingly(you'll know why its suprising if you read it) she also thought it was a bad idea(Ellie dating a black guy).. I don't see why two people with different skin colours can't be together without having the whole world put them down.

Ellie and Miah learn to overcome the comments and just be with each other; which I think is the moral of the story. Just when the story is going well; the unthinkable happens :o ..

I will give this story a 9.5/10 because it made me cry and also because it was realistic and inspiring. I think it's a good book for anyone even if they don't like romance.

*There is another story after this one which I have not yet finished (it's 2 books in one) called 'Behind You'.. I shall give a review about that soon..

~ :D

2 comments:

  1. So sorry I missed this one! I missed two of yours!!! Can't explain it but certainly not intentional. Did it literally make you cry or are you speaking metaphorically? Must be pretty good if it did!

    ReplyDelete