Monday, July 18, 2011

Percy Jackson & The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

This is the second book in the Percy Jackson series and after reading the first two, i'm definitely gonna review all of them. :D

So the book still follows Percy Jackson son of Poseidon, Annabeth daughter of Athena and Grover the satyr who is assigned to protect Percy in everything he does. I won't give too much plot summary this time coz I don't wanna ruin it for you guys. :P

So the book starts off with Camp Half-Blood being attacked by all different kinds of monsters all looking for Percy Jackson, this never happens at Camp Half-Blood because no monsters can enter as it is protected by Zeus' daughter, Talia who is the magical tree that protects the enitre camp. That is when Percy finds out that the tree was poisoned by someone, someone that is determined to destroy all the gods or maybe something else ...

Percy's mission is to find the only thing that will be able to restore the tree's magical powers, The Golden Fleece and he realizes that to find it, they must cross a very dangerous obstacle, The Sea of Monsters. Along the way, they fight, sneak, learn and protect each other as they are tested by many different forces of the magical world.

I never stopped reading this book because of one thing, and that is how the author ends each chapter. I noticed that in the first two books the main page turner is how the author closes each chapter off. He ends it with sentences that either leave the reader thinking, leaves the reader shocked or makes the reader turn the page. I thought this was very good in terms of making the plot flow because it's what keeps the reader interested. With the idea of ending each chapter well, the plot itself is awesome just like the first book and is definitely suited for a reader like me, the action loving/mystery type reader. :D

In terms of how the plot and characters go, as I read the book, I noticed how the main characters Percy, Annabeth and Grover develop their personalities and strengthen their friendship with one another. I noticed that Percy is becoming more attracted to Annabeth (vice versa), he is becoming more courageous as he stands up for his friends many times in the story and at the same time, he is becoming more thoughtful and caring as he actually listens to what his friends have to say. I realied that Percy's change in attitude helped him alot in the story as he struggles to find The Golden Fleece.

Another reason why I really liked this book is because through the action, through the heart-felt moments, I felt that I was actually Percy telling the story from my point of view. This is because of how the author linked Percy with the reader by using vocabulary which made the reading atmosphere change from hard intense action to sad, gloomy times. This gave the effect of the reader being in the book as if he/she was the one trying to save the world. Honestly, its not only the plot that made me interested in this book, but its how the author linked me as the reader with Percy. His use of words really emphasized what he was trying to say in a clever way by saying it through Percy. I found that I could relate to Percy in a way that were around the same age, we use the same sort of vocabulary but not live the same life. hehehe. he's half boy and half god. I'm all Vince. :D

Read the Percy Jackson series! It's awesome! You'll love it especially if you love action and fantasy stories! I give this book a 9/10! i didn't give it 10/10 because the author cuts the story at the end which sucks coz there was no REAL ending in the story but is awesome coz that made me want to read the next one !!!! :D :D :D

Please comment. :D
Vince Exconde.

1 comment:

  1. Good review, Vince. Lots of response this time. I'm glad you are enjoying this series so much. These books are really popular with some other members of the class too. I haven't read them myself but maybe I should. Have you seen the movie? If so, how does it compare to the books?

    ReplyDelete