Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

It's been a while since I reviewed a book so I thought I should write about this terrific one that I just finished reading on my new Kindle.  This book is a bit like a cross between The Hunger Games and Holes.  (Personally, I think it is better than The Hunger Games.  If you want to know if I'm right, you'll have to read it!)

Unwind belongs to that body of literature I referred to in class the other day: "dystopian literature".  (If you don't know what this means shame on you for not listening!!!!) It is set in the future in the USA in a society where parents can elect to get rid of their troublesome teenagers by donating them as organ donors.  (Tempting ...)  They will be "unwound" (hence the title) and their whole body (yes, every single bit!) will be used for donor organs.  The book is about three such teenagers - Connor, who is a bit of a bad boy; Risa, who is a ward of the state and is sent for "unwinding" as a cost saving measure; and Lev, who has been tithed (gifted) to the community by his religious parents.  The three of them become unlikely allies as they try to dodge the "juvey police" and avoid a very unpleasant end.  I love the pace of this book and the three different characters are all engaging in their own ways.  There is a really disturbing description of being "unwound" from the point of view of a character who is experiencing this.  Even though this character was not a very nice guy, the author really managed to make me feel sorry for him and completely repulsed by the way in which he is treated.
If you liked The Hunger Games and/or Holes, or if you like books that make you think about big issues, you should definitely give this one a try.    

No comments:

Post a Comment