Monday, March 14, 2011

The Hunger Games Catching Fire

Well, I have finally finished the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy.  And the question everyone wants to know the answer to is: is it as good as the first one?  To be honest, I would say probably not, but it is still worth reading.

Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 after their victory in the Hunger Games in the previous book.  Katniss is struggling to adjust to her new life.  She is still confused about her feelings for Gale and Peeta.  The story gets off to a slow start until the powers in the Capitol announce that the next Hunger Games will be fought only by survivors of previous games and yes, you guessed it, it's back into the arena for Katniss and Peeta.  At first I felt a bit annoyed by this because it seemed as if the author was just writing the same story again but I changed my mind once some interesting new characters such as Finnick were introduced and the action heated up.  The author does a great job of conveying Katniss's ongoing struggle to know who, if anyone, to trust as it gradually becomes clear that things are not quite what they seem ...

I did think the end of the book was a bit disappointing.  It seemed as if the author was in a hurry to wind it up so she could start writing the next one!!  Yes, I know there's another book that will pick up the story but I still think any book (including one with a sequel) should have a satisfying ending.  Despite this, I would give it 7 out of 10.  Give it a try, but only if you have already read the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment