Tuesday, March 29, 2011

MERIDIAN BY Amber Kizer

First things first, this book was simply one word; AMAZING. I literally could not put this book down. All her life Meridian Sozu has been an outcast and loser. Why do people think she is strange? Animals have always died around her. She never knew why, but they did. She just grew up assuming there is something wrong with her and that she is a freak. Her whole life changes on her sixteenth birthday. After a major accident her parents, knowing she is a danger to herself as well as them, put her on a bus and send her off to an Aunt’s home she has never met face to face. After a long and dangerous journey she finally makes it to her one hundred-six-year old Auntie’s home in Revelation, Colorado. There she mets Tens, a handsome teenager, who lives at the home taking care of her Aunite, as well as Custos, Tens’ wolf/pet who immediately has a liking for Meridian.

Meridian soon learns that she, as well as her Auntie, are Fenestras; a half-angel, half-human who is the “window” between the living and the dead. Tens, her protector by fate, goes from disliking her in the beginning to blooming to something else as the story goes on.

There is nothing I love more than a story that jumps right into action. So naturally Meridian instantly caught my attention. Not ten pages in did I have to wait for the action to start.
Meridian isn't a slow paced book, but not entirely fast passed either but I found the speed just right. Fast enough to keep you turning the pages as fast as you can and slow enough that you understand everything and you don't have to re-read a paragraph to make sure you understood.

This story was definitely nothing close to a cliche romance. There was danger, action, and a plot that represents good vs. evil. The first main issue of the story is the small town they are in, Revelations, Colorado. This whole town is practically a religious style cult . Everything seems perfect in the town thanks to Reverend Perimo, a man who showed up out of nowhere and turned the town into “perfection”. However he may not be exactly what everyone thinks he is and is slowly turning the town against Meridian and her Auntie. The second issue is of the Aternocti who are the evil forms of Fenestra’s with higher strength and numbers due to the low numbers of Fenestra’s left. They have targeted Meridian and want her to be one of them.

What I loved most about this book was its originality. It was nowhere like any other paranormal book I have ever read. Another thing I loved was how Meridian could take care of herself if she wanted to. She was not a weak helpless female main character, however at times she needed a little assistance from Tens. It was overall one of the best books I have read in a while, and I would suggest it to anyone.
Normally, I ask friends and I listen to what they are reading and if they say they enjoyed something I check it out or if they say that something wasn't quiet their cup of tea.. Well, I get curious and check that out too. When I heard from a friend that she felt it was on okay book but not quiet her thing, I was worried. Thinking I might not enjoy it or I might find something missing. Just the opposite! I LOVED it! It had everything I was looking for and even though it talks about such serious stuff and subjects that can be really hard to write about, it did it with such amazing ease and grace and keeps everything with just the right balance of emotion. I could understand what was happening and put together pieces without getting completely CONFUSSLED (sorry, I mean confused) It was just beautiful and something I am so happy I decided to read. I think I am officially an Amber Kizer fan. I can hardly wait for book two "Wildcat Fireflies" set to come out next year! =D

P.S. 9 and 3 quarters out of ten!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic review! It is really clear that you loved this book and more importantly it is clear why you loved it. And I think your point about not always agreeing with others about a book is a good one. You should hear the conversations in the English department about books!! We hardly agree on anything!!! (Except for To Kill a Mockingbird - I have never met an English teacher who didn't love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks miss, I still haven't read 'To kill a mockingbird' though.

    ReplyDelete