Friday, June 3, 2011

Alfie The Werewolf: Full Moon by Paul Van Loon

I enjoyed reading this book! The plot was simple yet entertaining. This book is actually part two of the Alfie The werewolf series but I didn't even notice that it was until halfway into the book because the author did a very good job with not confusing those who haven't read the first book.
The story was about a young boy Alfie who turns into a werewolf everytime it is a full moon. Yea, yea i know you might think that these kinds of stories are so repetitive and predictable but just keep on reading and its actually quite fun too read. Alfie goes to a school trip without his friend Tim (whose family adopted Alfie) beacause Tim was ill. A problem with the calendar causes Alfie to not realise that he was going to turn to turn into a werewolf during the trip, which is the main dilema in the story. Paul Van Loon does a good job with leaving cliff hangers at the end of each chapters wich makes you want to keep reading. The only problem was that the titles of the chapters on the top of the page kind of gave away what was going to happen. Just when you think all of Alfies secrets were going to be revealed to his whole class, the author makes a very believable and convincing save. I wanted to point this out because in many books and movies I watch, when it is up to the part of the climax and there is a big problem then suddenly it gets solved in an unconvincing and crazy way and you think to yourself 'Wow that is so dry! how is that even possible!' and the whole story just gets ruined (I know you might hav no idea what I am on about but it is hard to explain).
So anyway I enjoyed this book very much and I probably would have enjoyed the plot more when I was younger but then i also probably wouldn't have been able to realise the good things the author did if I am younger. I would give this book a 8.75 out of 10 and would recommend this book to 12 year olds.

ps. Im sorry for being a day late:)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for some spelling mistakes
    eg i instead of I and too instead of to
    i was rushing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry too much about the accuracy when posting on the blog. The blog isn't too formal - just a place for us to share our opinions about books. I do know what you mean by unconvincing resolutions and agree it is disappointing when this happens so pleased to hear the author avoided this in this book.

    ReplyDelete