Thursday, June 2, 2011

SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT : Playing with Fire by Derek Landy

awkay yes, this is a second review, but I wanted to write a book review on this book and I realised that there wasn't a review for the first book, so I thought, what the hey, I've read the first book, might as well write a review for it :)

This book is filled with just as much action as the first book. Now there are a lot of characters so I'm going to cut it down.


Skulduggery Pleasant : Book 2

A year later Stephanie Edgley, now known as Valkerie Cain, has learnt to control fire and air. She isn't the best at it but she has a few tricks up her sleeve. She is still working with the skeleton detective, Skulduggery Pleasant.

So this bad guy named Baron Vengeous escapes from prison and is determined to bring back "The Faceless Ones" (Evil gods). Vengeous has this thing called the Grotesquery, which is a creature. This creature has parts of other creatures eg hell hounds .. but it also has parts of a Faceless One. Vengeous believes the Grotesquery will open up the gate to bring back the Faceless Ones. Of course the Grotesquery isn't alive .. yet. To bring it back to life, Vengeous needs two things. One being the armour of this guy named Lord Vile, which they have to find, and the other ingredient is unknown to them.
So while Valkerie and Pleasant try to stop Vengeous. They get themselves into a lot of fights, of course Vengeous hires people to stop them.
The second ingredient happens to be the blood of Valkerie (she's descended from the "Ancients" - enemies of the Faceless Ones .. kinda like the Good gods). She is caught and the Grotesquery is brought back to life ...

Valkerie Cain and Skulduggery Pleasant have a lot to deal with. In this book there are many fights and a lot more going on that I haven't mentioned (I cut a lot out).
eg While Valkerie Cain is out with Skulduggery all day every day, you would think she missed school BUT her reflection is taken out of the mirror and replaces her in real life while she is out fighting crime. Cool huh, and when she comes back home the reflection goes back into the mirror. She touches the mirror and all the things that her reflection experienced in that day will be put into Valkeries head, like she experienced it herself.

Anyway the book doesn't end there of course.

I really, really, really enjoyed this book. The characters are still the same, and there are more characters who have awesome powers of there own, more fighting and yes, more jokes. Again this book, like the first, is fast paced, kept me reading and laughing. Would give this book a 8.9/10 :p .. for those who like books that are filled with action, cool magic tricks and funny jokes.

aww and I'm half way through the third book . YAY ME !

1 comment:

  1. Yay you indeed! I hope you keep reading because I think there are about 5 books in this series, aren't there? I don't often find books that make me laugh (probably because I choose gloomy serious books, being a boring old English teacher) but really love it when I do. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete